New Zealand has a great working environment for students wanting to work part time while studying.
ATMC NZ provides workshops in job seeking, job applications, resume preparation, and interview techniques. We are also able to connect you with our many industry networks and potential employers and coordinate work placements and internships.
In addition to support you’ll receive from the college, there are a number of job search portals to help you find employment. Visit https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/work-in-nz for more information.
- It is important to note that:
- Before you start your new job, you will need to apply online for an Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number. Your employer will require this before you are able to commence work.
- Your earnings will be taxable at a minimum tax rate of 10.5% for earnings up to NZD14,000 per year.
- You can work on a waged / salaried basis as an employee or as an individual contractor as contracted services if you are in New Zealand on a student visa.
- As of 1 April 2020 the minimum wage of NZD18.90 per hour. By law, you cannot be paid less than the minimum wage.
The job search process can take some time. You may need to submit many applications and attend numerous interviews to secure a position.